Looking for some helping hands!

Neighbors,

I’m looking for assistance with three projects. Please contact me if you can help!

Fall Safety Festival
ANC6B is contemplating co-sponsoring a Fall Safety Festival, similar to the event held after the Maslin assault in 2012. We envision a family oriented, community-building event to increase public awareness of Capitol Hill safety issues. The prospective Fall Safety Festival would be on October 19, from 10am until 4pm in Providence and Folger Park and will be coordinated with Brent School’s Fall Festival/Book Sale.

To make this a viable endeavor, we’re looking for 10-12 volunteers to commit 10-15 hours and attend 3-4 meetings over the next two months to help organize the event. Please contact me or Chuck Burger (cburger) if you’re willing to commit.

Updated Sidewalk Survey
Every year, ANC6B conducts a sidewalk survey to identify and prioritize sidewalks requiring restoration or repair. We provide a consolidated list to DDOT prior to the fiscal year, and they sequence their work accordingly. This has proven to be a win-win for all stakeholders: we save DDOT time, our sidewalks get repaired more quickly and tax payer funds are expended more efficiently. Oh, and we all get a more walkable community. I’m starting the SMD prioritization process and appreciate your help in identifying problem spots.

I am also trying to catalog and seek IMMEDIATE repair of the numerous spots destroyed and asphalt patched by the utilities (Washington Gas and DC Water). I hypothesize that this past Spring, Washington Gas surged in an effort to repair numerous leaking gas lines across the City, leaving the SMD dotted with asphalt patches as a result. When any of the utilities rip up the sidewalk to access underground utilities, they are required by law to restore the sidewalk to its original condition within 45-days. Clearly that hasn’t happened. If you can send me a photo w/ address of any patches on your block I’ll assemble them into a single document and get action to restore the sidewalks in accordance with the law. See attached for an example.

Alley Condition Survey
While we’ve been successful in improving the process for sidewalk repair over the past few years, the same can not be said for alleys. We’ve had some victories—for example the "Golden Alley" between 9th and 10th Street off Independence, but this took a significant amount of effort to push through the process. This is in part because DDOT has historically not allocated funds to alley repair, and in part a function of their bureaucratic tendencies.

I’d like to take a different tack, and apply the same strategy to alleys that I’ve applied to sidewalks. My objective is to prepare an informal (read layperson) condition survey of every alley in the SMD. The survey will assess the drainage and mobility of each alley, include photographs and flag any known issues with sub-surface infrastructure. Once complete, I’ll present this to DDOT and ask them to assign work order numbers to those alleys that fall into the top quartile of "distressed" alleys. If you’re able to help me document the condition of your alley please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help. It takes a village!

Regards,

Brian
ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.org

twitter: @pateANC6B05

ANC Elections, Kim Brenegar Park dedication, Virginia Avenue Tunnel project.

Neighbors,

ANC Elections. I’ve informally shared with several people that I will not seek reelection in November. Serving as an ANC Commissioner has been a great privilege and deeply rewarding experience. I’ve learned so much about our community and the great people who live here–I’m proud to call you my neighbors. But serving on the ANC, doing it well, takes a great deal of time and commitment. Four years is the right amount of time to serve.

I have a long punch list of projects to complete or position for success in the six remaining months of the term, and look forward to working with all of you to "get ‘em done." Beyond that, I’ll certainly remain involved in the neighborhood, hopefully in a purely philanthropic capacity.

Petition pick up for the November ANC elections begins today, July 7th. Several high-caliber people have indicated an interest in running and I’m confident at least one good candidate will be on the ballot. If you’re interested in running and would like to learn more about what the position entails, feel free to contact me off-line.

Thanks again for your support and help over the years.

Dedication of Kim Brenegar Park. The Friends of Kim Brenegar will formerly dedicate and cut the ribbon to Kim Brenegar Park (801 North Carolina Avenue) this Tuesday, July 8th at 10:30. The ceremony will feature guest speakers from Friends of Kim Brenegar leadership, mosaic artist Deirdre Saunder, and leadership from the DC Commission on Arts and Humanities and Department of Parks and Recreation. The pocket park provides a great example of dedicated neighbors restoring and revitalizing our pocket parks. For more on the park and how you can support it, go to: kimsgardendc.blogspot.com.

ANC6B Meeting Tuesday. ANC6B’s monthly meeting will be on Tuesday, July 8 at 7 pm at the Hill Center. Lots of Planning & Zoning and Transportation issues on the agenda, which can be viewed here.

Virginia Avenue Tunnel FEIS. Last month, the Federal Highway Administration and DDOT released the "Final Environmental Impact Statement" (FEIS) for the Virginia Avenue Tunnel project. ANC 6B will be holding a Special Call meeting to consider commenting on the FEIS on Thursday, July 10 at 7 pm at the National Community Church. If you have any thoughts, concerns, or questions about the FEIS, please email me.

As always, don’t hesitate to contact me with any general questions or concerns.

Regards,

Brian

ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.org

twitter: @pateANC6B05

Graffiti

FYI, Neighbors. Please let me know if my punch list is missing any tags. It looks like DPW cleaned up the tags on East Cap and Independence…

And a special thanks to my son, Jonah, who eagerly took on the assignment of photographing the "punk writing".

Regards,

Brian

ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.org

twitter: @pateANC6B05

Tag Survey (June 19 2014).docx

TODAY Eastern Market Metro Plaza Commuity Meeting

Neighbors,

FYI—for those who would like a closer look at the new Eastern Market Metro Plaza plans, today is the last of two public meetings.

Regards,

Brian

ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.org

twitter: @pateANC6B05

developments on Developments pt 1

Neighbors,

A few long overdue quick hitters on several of the larger developments in the neighborhood. I intend to send a few short updates over the next few days—hold me accountable for it!

Hine
Short story—nothing doing. The DC Appeals court has yet to render a decision and really has no deadline to do so. At this point, we are well beyond the 6-month decision window many of us originally anticipated. One germane development is that the court recently ruled against the en banc case brought against the West End development, clearing the way for that development to move forward. This is of interest because the lawyer for the appellants in that case is the same lawyer for the Hine litigants, with many of the same issues, and the developer is the same (EastBanc).

In the mean time, Stanton EastBanc has taken control of the Hine property, the Community Advisory Committee formed to deal with issues before and during construction meets monthly, and collectively the two parties are actively working to keep the building secure and free of rodents and the homeless.

CSX Virginia Avenue Tunnel Project
Rumor is that the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) will release the Final Environmental Impact Statement for this project tomorrow (13 June) on the Federal Register. This will kick off a flurry of activity, as the ANC and other stakeholder groups work to digest the report and take action based on its contents. I expect the District Department of Transportation to hold public meetings in early July (we’re hearing July 1st) to present the contents of the report and lay out a timeline for the project.

Eastern Market Metro Plaza
The Metro Plaza Task Force will meet this Monday, June 16th, from 5PM to 7PM at the Hill Center to review and discuss the latest design concepts for each of the six parcels of land that constitute the plaza. The meeting is public, but it is a working session. The design team will host two public meetings to gather comments and feedback. The first meeting will be on June 21st from 1PM to 3PM and the second will be on June 23rd from 5PM to 7PM. Both meetings will be at the Hill Center. For those who haven’t been tracking this project, it envisions a redesigned plaza featuring an underground expansion of the SE Library. You can find previous plans at: www.easternmarketmetropark.com.

While planning for a redesigned plaza continues, and I don’t expect shovels to turn on a redesigned plaza until at least after the Mayoral election, this week the City’s Department of General Services began significant rat abatement activities on the plaza. They are redoing the two large circular planting beds on the South parcel (near the metro entrance) to make them less conducive to the rat burrows that currently infest them. None to soon.

Next Up

SE Boulevard
Boat House Row (Cohen Development)
11th Street Bridge
Barracks Row evolution

As always, don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Best,

Brian

ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.org

twitter: @pateANC6B05

PSA 107 meeting tonight

Neighbors,

The MPD PSA 107 monthly meeting is tonight, 7PM at the SE Library. Lt. Fowler will present the latest crime statistics and field questions.

Regards,

Brian

ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.org

twitter: @pateANC6B05

Security Walk Tonight

Neighbors,

If you missed the last security walk, we’re doing it again tonight from 9PM to 10:30PM. This time we’ll be putting "Do your bit-keep it lit!" flyers on darkened porches and working with MPD to identify autos that are susceptible to break-in.

Rally at 13th and Independence. Hope to see a few of you tonight!

Regards,

Brian

ANC6B05

web: www.pate6b.orgtwitter: @pateANC6B05